Thursday, April 7, 2011

Teeny Gardens

Gardening is on my mind! I have been searching the entire house for the stash of seeds I found just before we moved, stuck in a silver teapot. I had put them there so that I would remember where they were, but just in case, I moved them as I was packing. If I had left them in the teapot, I would now be gleefully flipping through packets of flowers and veggies to be, but I put them someplace practical and obvious, so that I could find them come spring. Of course, now I can't for the life of me figure out where I put the bloody things!


Anyhoo, I digress. I have had thoughts of starting seeds indoors for weeks, and long, intense internet searches have somehow taken a side road into little and innovative terrariums. When my youngest was born, I was in the middle of finishing a stained glass class. I absolutely was hooked! Breaking glass (intentionally) is incredibly therapeutic. Unfortunately for my creative process, it turns out that tiny apartments inhabited by two boys is NOT the place to set up a glass studio. It will happen though, I may just set up a shed in the backyard, now that I have one! So when my search fell upon terrariums, I immediately looked into glass boxes of the sort that Victorian era manors would use as mini greenhouses. SO gorgeous, and I am sure I could just whip one up!



The designs really can stretch as far as the imagination. I absolutely adore this steampunk inspired terrarium slash nightlight...

From Steamed Glass
 ...and this totally adorable one made from a Christmas tree ornament!

From In The Blue House
This one made the rounds last year and has been living in my inspiration files for quite some time...

Instructions HERE

So I think a new project is on the agenda. I just need to find a few fabulous apothecary jars, or some such thing...



 ...because let's face it, I simply cannot bring myself to use a mason jar like I should. (Not to mention, I have two sitting beside the sink.) Although, I do really love the look of the blue....


No comments: