Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recycled Glass Gorgeousness

Serene Sol dishes from Viva Terra

I know, I don't think gorgeousness is an actual word either... but I'm gonna use it anyway, because that is what these dishes from Viva Terra are. I love recycled glass anything. I love glass and I love recycled, and I also really love dishes, which anyone who has hosted a party with me can attest to. These are the first dishes I have seen though, made from recycled glass, that have that light and airy look but with the sturdy build that everyday dishes need. The cost is beyond reasonable and they are dishwasher safe. With a ribbed outside, they have a texture and softness of seaglass.


Serene Sol explains, when glass is recycled, it is broken into small pieces called cullet. The broken pieces are crushed, sorted, cleaned, and mixed with other raw materials in the glass-making process. When glass is made from scratch, high temperatures are needed to melt all the ingredients. Since cullet melts at a lower temperature, the more of it you add to the process, the less energy required to melt it.


Recycling glass is not only energy-efficient; it benefits the environment in other ways. Glass produced from recycled glass instead of raw materials reduces related air pollution by 20% and related water pollution by 50%. And, recycling glass keeps used bottles and jars out of landfills, thereby decreasing the need for them. So in short, they are a great deal for your table, and the planet it sits on! Oh, and wait... they are gorgeous.

No comments: